Skip to main content

Lessons learned from leadership

I am very thankful to God for the path of jobs that was set for me from my teenage years to now. In my teens, I worked as a Daycare Assistant, Police Cadet, and concession stand volunteer. As I started to transition into adulthood I worked at a movie theater, as an assistant, Assistant manager for a few companies, bill collector, College Admissions Rep, in various functions in HR, and as Executive Director of my small nonprofit. I learned some ideal lessons from leaders in some of these roles that stuck with me until this day.
  1. Brenda D.: Everyone thought she was tough, well she was but she knew how to lead. I had to take everything in because I didn't at the time know how to be a supervisor. I really appreciated the time she took to meet with me before the store opened to help me adjust. She taught me to ask for help if needed and don't think you can do everything yourself. 
  2. Norma J.: She was Store manager, I believe, at another location and took the time to come help me at the location I was at. (Under Brenda's lead 😊). I recall her telling me to work every day like it was my last. Now it may have been because of the circumstances of that location but I continued this lesson as a part of my work ethic wherever I go. If anyone is to come behind me after any job I have done, they will know what's going on and where to pick up. I am very detailed and organized.
  3. Sylvia W.: She was a supervisor when I was in recruiting. Her thing was to make sure candidates had a seamless experience. That stuck with me. From then on in HR, I make sure candidates know what to expect, follow up, and try to represent the company well. Set the expectation!

 Not only did these individuals leave a lasting impression they showed it with their actions as well.  Good leadership is posed by actions with lasting impressions.  I am truly thankful I worked under these ladies. 

Share some of your lasting leadership impressions 😊

Comments