Skip to main content

Not getting interviews or not getting through the interview process? Part 1: Resume'



It can be frustrating job searching, interviewing and not getting hired. Even filling out hundreds of applications and not getting call backs can test your patience. Trust me I have been there. Job hunting is a job in itself. As my father says, you can't expect different results doing the same thing. Definitely change it up!

I will go over some basic changes in 3 parts.

Part 1. Your resume' (or lack of)
Part 2. Networking/Social Media
Part 3. Be prepared/Follow up


Part I: Resume

Do you have a resume? If so, is it up to date? Do you change it to fit the job description details of the job you are applying for? If you do not have a resume or work experience, I can still help you create one.

What is a resume? 
A resume is a document usually 1-2 pages that includes your name, contact information, work history (up to 10 years), education, and skill set, as well as enhancing it with a summary, accomplishments, and credentials. A resume is a quick marketing tool to present your value to potential employers, as well as in addition to applying for jobs. I always say it's your billboard to attract the attention of recruiters or managers. Plus, more than likely the person or people who are interviewing you will have your resume in front of them versus your application.
There are other forms of resumes. I can help you create the resume format that best helps you. Here are some valuable tips.
  1.  Make sure your professional profile summary is geared toward the position you’re applying for. Objectives are vague and outdated in my opinion. 
  2. Eliminate any words of I, me, or my.
  3. Make sure the dates are in the same format.
  4. Only list jobs for the past 7-10 years or just list jobs relevant to the position you are applying for.
  5. Previous jobs should be written in the past tense.
  6. Include your achievements, use numbers and percentages. Use more hard skills than soft skills.
  7. The first thing on your resume should be your name in bold with contact info
  8. Your resume should be one page no more than two pages in length. No highlighting.
  9. Explain your skills within your previous jobs in at least 5-6 sentences. If you are using a Chronological resume or mixed resume. 
  10. My personal tip, email yourself your resume and save it to a cloud drive like Dropbox, Google Drive
  11. Have someone else look over your resume. 

If this all seems a bit overwhelming to you, reach out to me and I can help. Yes, I do charge a fee, but I will work with you 1 on 1. See my website for more information and details on the services tab.

Website

Comments