Skip to main content

Recruiters texting?

I have had recruiters text message me about a job opening. I don't feel it's appropriate to text in place of a call or an email. (Especially if I did not give permission when and if I applied). I have had bad experiences when recruiters text. Personally, I feel there is no way for me to know it's really a recruiter, and it's a lazy way to do the job professionally. It's too many scams out here. I am very cautious because I have been a victim. When a recruiter uses email to communicate, you will see their contact or information related to the company they represent. Links you can click on about the company to see the validity. I also believe texting first, is not a good step to represent their company or build a rapport with the candidate. Well, I don't think the first contact is to text a prospective candidate. For me, it's a red flag on proper communication. Reach out and call first, it's the basic way to build rapport. If they don't answer leave a message. Now they have a name and a voice to put to a company. Recruiters are the voice candidates identify with first. Hopefully, your face to your voice at some point in the interviewing process. I'm sure some recruiter is saying these millennials just text and on social media. I can bet that if you call and leave a message about a job they are interested in, they will call back.
Now, if you have permission to text afterward, then OK. The first few contacts are a huge NO in my professional process of recruiting.

Maybe this has worked for you recruiters or hiring managers. 🤷 Stick with what works. I think some companies build on numbers and miss the human factor in my opinion.

What's your experience?

Comments