Skip to main content

Patience in waiting?

There have been a few times that I had to wait on my interviewer. Which is way too long in my book if I have to wait! I am groomed from an army vet that says, If you are on time you are late (My dad).

First instance:
I most definitely I made my in-person interview about 20 minutes early, scoped out the perimeter, proceeded to park then went inside. This is a well known reputable company that is based in the North Dallas area, so I was eager to proceed with the in person interview after an initial phone interview. The interview was scheduled with the HR Manager for one hour on a Monday. When I arrived, the security/receptionist announced that the HR Manager was in a meeting that was running over a little. Ok, I thought and proceeded to wait because I was early already waited 15 minutes, now I wait some more. No biggie right? 5 minutes pass, then ten minutes, now 20 minutes. Now the security/receptionist states, she is really late and she have been sending her messages. 30 minutes pass and now the HR manager finally arrives. She is dressed very sloppily in jeans, gym shoes and I can see her bra strap. Now we only have 30 minutes to press an hour interview. During the interview a small tour of the work area and small talk about how she does not like interviewing. Then she revealed how she may drop the "F" bomb once in a while and she didn't want to dress up today. The perceived standards of this company lowered my expectations. I left without asking many questions. When I got home, I emailed the recruiter a "thank you" email for the interview but I would rather NOT be an option for them because there is no way I can work under a manager that misrepresents your company.

Second:
I was notified via LinkedIn if I was in the market for HR. I replied yes and she instructed me to apply. This was for another well know company that has satellite offices in North Dallas. I followed up and informed I applied. A few days later I get a text message about this same job for a phone interview. Different person same job. I thought it was unconventional because I didn't get a call or an email. But a text??? I replied anyway. We set up a phone interview during my lunch break the next day. The time came. I waited in a quiet place with the job description in front on me, looking at my cellphone waiting on it to ring. 2 minutes pass the time, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes.... I am on my way back to work. I send her a text message that I was waiting but 15 minutes past and no call. She stated a call went past the time. UGGGHHH. She wanted to arrange a time 30 minutes later but I had to get back to work. She just texted ok. No reschedule no follow up.

Third:
Another phone interview set up with a worldwide known company in North Dallas. I arranged to leave my current job 30 minutes early. Sat in my home office patiently waiting on the phone to ring. Nothing!! I sent an email 15 minutes to let them know I am still available. No reply or anything.

My plea to recruiters, managers, or any one that performs interviews....Be on time because you are a representative of your company and how it is perceived. Please don't waste anyone's time and be courteous to respond and follow up. Time management is crucial in talent acquisition. You can very well miss out on a great hard working employee. Reset your standards. From a former recruiter that took recruitment serious.

Comments