Skip to main content

Customer Service point of view

I have been working since the age of 13. I either held a job and or volunteered with my Dad's PAL league team concession stand (Eastside Giants at Denby). My Dad even helped my sister and I start our own concession stand. I had some good summer jobs and part time jobs. From working at a day care center, (who remembers Sleepy Hollow in Detroit??), being a Police Cadet at the convalescent homes, to working at the movie theater. These jobs did create some discipline and time management incorporation. I did not have the opportunity to work in fast food. Thank God. 😏

I worked at Star Gratiot Theater my senior year in high school and part of my first college semester. Working there taught me about customer service, representation of the company, diversity and that customers are very attentive (secret manager informants πŸ˜’) in what I did when I worked at the concession stand. Obviously, this is a customer facing job. Usually with customer service jobs you have or will learn, clear communication, attentiveness, time management, problem solving with active listening, patience and most importantly professionalism with the ability to use positive language (body language too). One time I had crotchet braids working at the concession stand, I scratched my head and a customer in line went to customer service to inform the managers. In my defense, I was not scratching to death or beating my head.πŸ˜–I was told to wash my hands every time I scratched my head. This incident made me conscious that customers are looking, listening, and secretly informing the managers of what they didn't like.  πŸ˜’

A couple weeks ago, I ordered a pizza online and went to go pick it up. Inside it was about 6 adults sitting and waiting. Two cashier’s, 1 male and 1 female. The cashiers were having a personal conversation about their job hourly pay. The female more the male. I could tell that the male liked his job. The female appeared a little upset about the pay and folding the boxes for the pizzas. In front of all the customers, we had to hear how much she was paid, how she liked retail better and wanted to go back for about ten minutes. Now this isn't the first time I seen her there, she has been there a while. The entire time I was waiting, everyone heard her and seemed like she was complaining. One of the customers could have easily been a secret shopper, wrote a Google review or even called the manager about what she was saying. 

Be conscious and aware of what you are projecting whether it is in front of customers or your coworkers. You don’t want to be sanctioned for something as minor as your feelings. I advise if you don't like your job don't advertise! Be careful and mindful of what you say, how you say it and who you are around. When working for any company you sign up to represent them and how you portray their company. Ultimately you will learn how to use to acting skills; say it with a smile and create a cheery persona. 

#JustAGirlFromDetroit





Comments